Sunday, April 29, 2012

April Recipes: Easy Ones

I spent every weekend of the past two months working on my 40-page clinical report (which I finally turned in this week, yay!) so my version of "cooking" has not been impressive at all lately.  We pretty much ate sandwiches, salads, boring pasta, and whatever was the quickest and easiest to grab.  Or we got take out.

This past Thursday night, we reached a new low point. We sat down for a late dinner of tortilla chips and fruit (me), a frozen pizza (hubby), and frozen waffles (Ryan). It was obviously quite sad, and so we resolved right then and there to start planning healthy meals again on a regular schedule.

I think that it is very important for us to prioritize having nutritious family dinners together every single night, especially since we have a growing toddler.  Our planning will also help us to save money because we won't be making multiple trips to the grocery store each week or picking up random lunches and dinners at restaurants. I am really looking forward to focusing on cooking more and trying a variety of different types of dishes.

In the midst of the hectic months, I did manage to throw together a couple of SUPER EASY things that ended up being delicious.  Here are my favorite:



Spinach leaves, edamame, carrots, avocado, a pinch of black pepper, and roasted red pepper hummus spread onto a wrap:  This takes practically no time at all to prepare.  You may want to switch it up on various days to include different veggies and/or flavors of hummus.



So this might not be the most healthy thing that I have ever made... but it sure is a yummy treat!  I got the idea from my cousin's wife who made this for their son's first birthday party. The ingredients include: 2 packs of cream cheese, 1 can of crushed pineapples with the juice, a pack of vanilla pudding mix, and crackers. Simply let the cream cheese come to room temperature, and then mix everything together using a hand mixer. Refrigerate and serve cold. Enjoy!

I was so enthused about being finished with grad school for the semester that I decided to spend my entire day in the kitchen making a bunch of recipes that I got from some of my mommy friends in our playgroups and also from my Aunt S.  I made: fresh guacamole, sweet potato cannellini bean veggie patties, deviled eggs, tomato and mango salsa, banana nut bread, and an old standby, couscous and feta stuffed peppers.

I absolutely love peeking into our fridge when it looks like this: organized and fully stocked with yummy leftovers, snacks, and fresh ingredients for more cooking.


I'm planning what to make next, and at the top of my list is an orzo salad and some goat cheese/pecan sandwiches that I have been craving since the day that H made them for our Wednesday playgroup.  Mmm hmm!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...